Feral Dogs Hound Cleveland’s Rockefeller Park
Rabid fans in the infamous Dawg Pound at Cleveland Browns Stadium used to be the scariest pack in town… but Cleveland’s Rockefeller Park has become notorious as the home of an elusive and intimidating pack of wild dogs. The park meanders through 200-acres of land along Martin Luther King Boulevard that was donated to the city by John D. Rockefeller in 1897.
Joggers and bicyclists have begun to avoid the park and adjacent boulevard as the pack becomes increasingly bold and bullying.
According to chief animal warden John Baird, the park is a challenging place to find and trap the dogs. But Baird also notes that the city has actually made a great deal of progress in reducing the feral dog population of the city. In the 1970’s and 80’s packs of feral dogs prowled many of Cleveland’s neighborhoods. The pack roaming Rockefeller Park is reportedly the only one left.
It’s a scary situation — but it could be worse. John D. Rockefeller was reportedly the first person to import Bullmastiffsto the United States. He acquired the dogs to guard his Tarrytown, New York estate. Bullmastiffs were already patrolling Tarrytown when Rockefeller donated the park land to the city in 1897. Imagine a pack of those impressive beasts lumbering through the park after joggers!